This specially designed programme has been adapted from the Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) course to meet the needs of people who work within a school setting. The syllabus includes all of the content from the 1 day Emergency First Aid at Work course and includes additional subjects likely to be faced by first aiders working within a school.
- The ability to act safely and effectively when an accident or emergency occurs;
- The treatment and priorities of care for an unconscious patient;
- The recognition and treatment of a person in seizure;
- The recognition of cardiac arrest and delivery of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR);
- The ability to recognise and safely treat a patient who is choking;
- The ability to safely and promptly treat a patient who is bleeding;
- The keeping of simple records following an accident at work;
- Allergic Reaction;
- Resuscitation of children;
- Choking in Children.
This lasts for 3 years when the course needs to be taken again.
The HSE recommend that all workplace first aiders receive annual refresher training in first aid techniques whilst holding this qualification.
Candidates must be 16 years of age.