Teaches the actions to be taken by individuals to protect themselves in emergency situations. The first session is classroom based covering theoretical elements. The second session is practical training using life jackets, survival suits and inflatable life rafts in the pool.
This course is part of the mandatory basic safety training courses, which also include: Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities and Elementary First Aid.
The course is included in our STCW Basic Safety Training Week.
- Types of emergency situations such as collision, fire, sinking;
- Types of life-saving appliances normally carried on ships;
- Equipment in survival craft;
- Location of personal life-saving appliances;
- Principles concerning survival.
Practical instruction will include
- Donning a life jacket;
- Donning and use an immersion suit;
- Safely jumping from a height into the water;
- Righting an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket;
- Swimming while wearing a life jacket;
- Keeping afloat;
- Boarding a life raft from ship and water while wearing a life jacket;
- Taking initial actions on boarding a life raft to enhance chance of survival;
- Streaming a drogue or sea anchor;
- Operating location devices, including radio equipment.
Costs & Dates
Duration: 1 days
From: 09:00 – 17:30
For 2019 this course run’s on the following dates:
- Saturday 19th January
- Saturday 16th February
- Thursday 07th March
- Saturday 09th March
- Thursday 18th April
- Thursday 16th May
- Saturday 18th May
- Saturday 15th June
- Saturday 03rd August
- Thursday 19th September
- Saturday 21st September
- Saturday 26th October
- Thursday 14th November
- Saturday 16th November
- Saturday 07th December