Seafarers who hold an existing Personal Survival Techniques (PST) certificate are required to complete this updating training course to maintain proficiency under the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments (STCW Section A-VI/1 & table A-VI/1-1).
The training will take place both in the classroom and at our pool facility, where attendees are required to be fit enough to undertake the in-water practical drills, similar to those undertaken on the original PST course.
This course is part of the mandatory 5 Yearly Basic Safety Refresher Training Courses, which also include: Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Update and Elementary First Aid.
The course is included in our STCW Basic Safety Refresher Training Course (BSTC-R).
- Types of emergency situations such as collision, fire, sinking;
- Types of life-saving appliances normally carried on ships;
- Equipment in survival craft;
- Location of personal life-saving appliances;
- Principles concerning survival.
Practical instruction will include
- Donning a life jacket;
- Donning and use an immersion suit;
- Safely jumping from a height into the water;
- Righting an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket;
- Swimming while wearing a life jacket;
- Keeping afloat;
- Boarding a life raft from ship and water while wearing a life jacket;
- Taking initial actions on boarding a life raft to enhance chance of survival;
- Streaming a drogue or sea anchor;
- Operating location devices, including radio equipment.
Costs & Dates
Duration: 1 days
From: 09:00 – 17:30
For 2019 this course run’s on the following dates:
- Saturday 19th January
- Saturday 16th February
- Thursday 07th March
- Saturday 09th March
- Thursday 18th April
- Thursday 16th May
- Saturday 18th May
- Saturday 15th June
- Saturday 03rd August
- Thursday 19th September
- Saturday 21st September
- Saturday 26th October
- Thursday 14th November
- Saturday 16th November
- Saturday 07th December