Whatever your job is on board, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you are no different from the captain of a cruise liner – you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong. You could be doing anything from delivering a new 35’ yacht or driving a workboat with lifting and towing gear, to running a superyacht in the Mediterranean.
This is an interactive on-line course as is the examination. Falmouth School of Sailing will enrol you on the course and our instructors will be on-hand to help you if you have any queries during the online course.
- The commercial environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world;
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels;
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures;
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Exemptions from this course:
- MCA Deck Officer’s Certificate of Competence as Officer of the Watch;
- MCA Master 200gt STCW qualification;
- Master 500gt STCW qualification.
You will need to send the RYA a copy of your MCA certificate with your application or renewal form for your commercial endorsement.
Updating your PPR certificate
Once you have taken your first PPR course, at subsequent renewals of your commercial endorsement you do not now need to do any further tests even though your certificate might say it is only valid for five years. the RYA has changed it’s policies to include that your PPR qualifercation has no expiry date. Just send a copy of your original downloaded certificate with your renewal.
Note: If you are over 65 and subject to more regular medical fitness examinations, you do not need to send the PPR certificate each time you renew your medical. You will simply need to send it when your commercial endorsement is due for renewal (normally every five years).
Costs & Dates
Up to 6 months